Saturday, May 22, 2010

A survival tale


I heard the shrieks of co-passengers: crash survivor
Mangalore (Karnataka), May 22 (IANS) 'I saw the flight catching fire and heard the shrieks of my co-passengers inside the aircraft,' said Krishnan, who survived by escaping through a gap in the broken Air India Express aircraft seconds after it crashed in Mangalore Saturday.
Krishnan, a Keralite, said the aircraft shook as it lost one of its tyres immediately after the landing.
'The moment I felt the unnatural movement of the flight, it turned turtle and hit an object like a tree. I looked upward when sunshine hit my eyes and I saw a gap in the aircraft, which was broken,' Krishnan said.
He said he removed the seat belt immediately and jumped out through the gap. 'I felt that I was in a forest. I along with four others who also jumped out ran away,' narrated Krishnan, who was admitted to a Mangalore hospital.
'I submit everything to god,' Krishnan said.
Miraculous escape for eight passengers of crashed AI flight
Mangalore, May 22 -- It was a miraculous escape for eight passengers onboard Air India flight which crashed in Mangalore this morning. The survivors managed to jump out of the Boeing 737-800 soon after it hit the ground.
Some survivors reached a nearby road, others jumped into a pit to evade the massive fire that engulfed the aircraft. Some of them were helped by people, including auto-rickshaw drivers and bikers to reach hospital.
"I can't believe I survived the crash," said Pradeep reliving the moments when the plane hit the ground after it overshot the runway. "There were vibrations before the plane crashed.
as soon as it hit the ground, I managed to get out and jump into a pit. There was smoke all over as the plane caught fire.
After ten minutes, there was an explosion," he said. According to most of the survivors, the fuselage of the aircraft had split into two.
Abdul Puthur, another survivor, said he, along with two others, managed to get out of the mangled remains of the aircraft from an opening on the left side. "It all happened within a few seconds," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment